Over the last five to ten years, corporate learning professionals have scrambled to engage their learners in an increasingly digital world. Learning trends such as mobile, gamification, game-based learning, performance support, use of learning science and interactive video are all attempts to capture learner attention and engage them on a deeper level. With so many distractions to compete with, learner attention comes at a premium. Training has to be engaging for it to stick.
Recently, these learning trends and delivery methods have converged to make a new trend, microlearning, possible. With time available for training and learners’ patience for cumbersome learning experiences decreasing, there is more pressure than ever before for L&D professionals to deliver bite-sized training that is highly effective.
At its best, microlearning leverages learning science to space out content and build long term memory. It helps learners build on knowledge they already have and provides immediate access to short, targeted lessons and support materials. At its worst, it becomes another distraction to ignore.
We’ve compiled 25 of our favorite microlearning articles to make it easier to learn about “bite-sized learning” and implement it effectively. This article isn’t going anywhere, so bookmark it for reference and come back whenever you need more inspiration!
Our 25 Favorite Microlearning Resources
- How to Make Microlearning Matter – Annie Murphy Paul, SHRM.org (Link)
- Microlearning: Fab or fad? – Tom Spiglanin, TomSpiglanin.com (Link)
- The Myth of Micro-Learning – Sharon Boller, Bottom-Line Performance (Link)
- Defining Microlearning? – Clark Quinn, Learnlets (Link)
- 5 Learning Trends to Watch in the Next 5 Years – Karl Kapp, TD.org (Link)
- Micro-learning as a workplace learning strategy: Sahan Chattopadhyay, ID and Other Reflections (Link)
- Is Microlearning a Myth? Sharon Boller, ATD Press (Link)
- Is Micro-Learning the Solution You Need? – by Connie Malamed, The eLearning Coach (Link)
- Why companies are moving to microlearning platforms for training, Simon T Bailey, The Business Journals (Link)
- Can Micro-Learning help stressed, unmotivated learners? – Sharon Boller, Bottom-Line Performance (Link)
- Enterprise Microlearning – Marcia Conner, MarciaConner.com (Link)
- 4 Steps to Microlearning Mastery – Brian Bishop, eLearningIndustry.com (Link)
- Microlearning’s Meteoric Rise – Justin Ferriman, LearnDash (Link)
- Micro-learning: Its role in formal, informal and incidental learning Sahan Chattopadhyay, ID and Other Reflections (Link)
- MicroLearning on a Mobile Device – Jennifer S Beaudin, Stephen S. Intille, Margaret E. Morris – MIT (Link)
- Microlearning in Mobile and Flipped Contexts – Educause (Link)
- Microlearning – Edutech Wiki (Link)
- Ideal Learning Event – Karl Kapp, KappNotes (Link)
- Microlearning: Best Practices for Corporations – Monica Singh, General Assembly (Link)
- What is Micro-Learning? – Articulate “E-learning Heroes” blog (Link)
- From Courses to Micro-Learning – Sahan Chattopadhyay, ID and Other Reflections (Link)
- The Story Behind Micro-Learning – David Cutler, Spin Education (Link)
- The MicroLearning trend: Accommodating cultural and cognitive shifts – Jeff Fernandez, Learning Solutions Magazine (Link)
- Gaming, Micro-Learning and Mobile: The Perfect Trio – Steven Boller, Knowledge Guru by BLP (Link)
- 7 Tips to Create Memorable Microlearning Online Training – Christopher Pappas, eLearningIndustry (Link)